Wish LIst: A Reason To Believe Animal Rescue (WV)
Jessica Hill White is a West Virginia native who has single-handedly created a successful rescue in a very rural, impoverished part of the state. Jessica has seen so much and done so much more to help.
Don't let Jessica's glamorous beauty fool you. Jessica is a wife, a mother, a nurse, and a hardcore animal advocate who gets into the muck, grime and tears of rescuing animals who are cast off, abandoned by the side of the road, and dumped in the woods. Her 501c3 non-profit is named A Reason To Believe Animal Rescue (ARTBAR).
Below you can read Jessica's daily reality -- in her own words. Fair warning. If you are not familiar with the lives of animals in some of our Southern states, what you read will shock you. It might even make you cry. It will most certainly touch your heart. It touched ours and spurred us to set up a program to help Jessica.
Jessica's letter --
I live across a strip mining road, its gravel and dirt. There are no houses for a long way across it. There are coyotes, bears, and bobcats. The road is surrounded by the woods for miles. People drop dogs off here fairly regularly but recently it's been persistent. I have picked up hundreds of dogs here over the years. They don't get here by accident. They are dumped.
The life of most dogs around here is this:
They live on a chain their entire lives until they die. Snow, ice, extreme heat...it all finds them on the end of their chain.
They never see a vet.
If something were to happen to them that they need a vet, their owners usually shoot them.
What dogs aren't chained are allowed to run loose -- to be hit by cars. There are stray animals here galore.
Every day I see dead dogs and cats on the roads. No one comes looking. Sometimes I take pictures of them and post them in hopes a family will come forward. I could go on and on.
I just want people to know what it is like here for animals. I turn away more dogs than I can possibly take in. With every one of those my heart breaks.
Order anything from this wish list and we will send the items directly to the rescue in your name. You can also make contributions toward the big items ARTBAR needs.
- Wish List: Naturally Shed Deer, Elk & Moose Antler Chews for ARTBAR from $8.00
- Wish List: Bully Sticks 2-Pack: 12" -- USA Beef for ARTBAR $8.50
- Wish List: Kong AirDog Squeaker Football for ARTBAR from $4.50
- Wish List: Kong AirDog Squeaker Dumbbell for ARTBAR from $4.50
- Wish List: Kong Classic for ARTBAR from $3.50
- Wish List: Kong AirDog Squeaker Oval for ARTBAR from $6.50
- Wish List: Kong Extreme Flyer for ARTBAR $9.00
- Wish List: 3-Pack KONG SqueakAir Balls for ARTBAR $4.00
- Wish List: Planet Dog Ultra Durable Orbee Tuff RecycleBall for ARTBAR $13.95
- Wish List: Crinklies Toys with No Stuffing for ARTBAR from $4.00
- Wish List: Strong Durable Dog Leash for ARTBAR $10.00
- Wish List: Glad Dogs Nation $5 Gift Card for ARTBAR $5.00